Finance Questions
Live: Aug 1 2014, 2:49 am PDT   Air/Ocean: 69.5/71   Wind: Southeast 3   Surf: 1-3 SW   Choppy Ocean Surface   Sky: Clear 10 miles   Coastal Camera
About Us > Finance > Questions > Finance Questions
Show Index
Is it possible to comment on City Finances?
Your comments are important to us. You can contact the Finance & Administrative Services Department at:

100 Avenida Presidio
San Clemente, CA 92672
(949) 361-8360 phone
(949) 361-8283 fax
EMail about Is it possible to comment on City Finances?

Is an alarm permit needed if there is an alarm in a home or business?
According to the City of San Clemente’s Ordinance Section 8.56.160, no one shall possess or use an alarm system without first applying for and receiving an alarm permit. The fee for a residential or commercial permit is $40 per year. The City also offers a monitoring service for the alarm, which is optional, for $200 per year. There is a 72-hour (3 working days) activation period to process the alarm permit.

If an alarm permit is currently possessed, all changes regarding permit information and/or cancellation of an alarm permit must be submitted in writing to the City of San Clemente’s Police Services or the Finance Department at 100 Avenida Presidio within 10 days of such change and/or cancellation.

To apply for an alarm permit, applications may be picked up at the Utility Billing Division at City Hall located at 100 Avenida Presidio or contact the City of San Clemente’s Police Services at (949) 361-8208.

Are there fines for false alarms within the city limits of San Clemente?
Yes. The City allows three (3) false alarm calls per fiscal year which is from July 1 to June 30. The fines for any false alarm calls in excess of three are billed monthly at a rate of $100 per call. For billing inquiries, please call the Finance Division at (949) 361-8282.

If there are questions about the time of the call or the officer responding to the call, please call the City of San Clemente’s Police Services at (949) 361-8208.

Does the City offer an Emergency Medical Transportation Service? (Ambulance Service)
Yes. The City of San Clemente has an Emergency Medical Transportation Service provided by the Orange County Fire Authority. The transportation is an alternative to the high costs of private emergency medical transportation. The service covers the person who signs up and all legal dependents of their household for all qualified emergency service needed during the year. The program is only offered to residents of San Clemente for services provided within the City limits. The services do not cover routine transfers from hospital to hospital, from home to the hospital for non-emergency treatment, or to doctor’s offices.

If you call 911, the Orange County Fire Authority will respond, examine, treat and transport to the San Clemente Hospital and Medical Center. Your insurance, Medicare or MediCal will be billed, and if you are a subscriber, fees not covered by your insurance are covered under the subscription. The cost of the service is $40 per year. Annual renewal notices will be automatically mailed to you.

All changes or cancellations regarding your application must be submitted in writing to the Finance Division at 100 Avenida Presidio, San Clemente, California 92672.

To apply for the Emergency Medical Transportation Service, you may pick up an application at City Hall at 100 Avenida Presidio or call the Finance Division at (949) 361-8282 and leave your address and phone number. An application will be mailed to you.

What is the current rate of the Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT)?
The current rate for Transient Occupancy in the City of San Clemente is ten (10%) percent of the gross rent minus exemptions (defined below). Complete information on this tax is part of Title 3.24 of the City Municipal Code. A summary of information on who these procedures apply to and how to remit the amounts collected are identified below.

Who does the transient occupancy tax procedures apply to?
A Transient Occupancy permit is required for the operator of hotels, inns, tourist home or house, motel, studio hotel, bachelor hotel, lodging house, rooming house, apartment house, dormitory, public or private club, mobile home or house trailer at a fixed location. As this definition indicates, any property utilized for transient occupancy, including vacation rentals, is subject to the collection and remittance of Transient Occupancy Tax.

Forms to apply for a Transient Occupancy permit for either a Hotel/Motel/Operator Permit or for a Vacation Rental Permit are available at City Hall located at 100 Avenida Presidio, on-line, or by calling the Finance Division at (949) 361-8310.

How and when are tax collections to be reported?
The Transient Occupancy Tax Return is used to report the gross rent collected less any exemptions for the amount due to the City. The current length of stay to qualify for an exemption is 29 consecutive nights becoming exempt on the 30th night unless there is an agreement in writing between the operator and the occupant providing for a longer period of stay. Separate forms for Hotel/Motel/Operator Tax Returns and Vacation Rental Tax Returns are available.

Transient Occupancy Return forms must be complete with a check enclosed that is made payable to the City of San Clemente. The return and check shall be submitted to the City of San Clemente Finance Division, 100 Avenida Presidio, San Clemente, California 92672.

The tax payment is due on or before the last day of the month following the close of the reporting period. When the payment becomes delinquent, ten (10%) of the amount of the tax is added as a penalty. If the payment is not received by the City on or before the last day of the second month following the close of the reporting period, an additional ten (10%) of the amount of the tax for a total of twenty (20%) is added as a penalty. In addition to the penalties imposed, interest is added to the amount of delinquent transient occupancy tax payments at the rate of 1 ½% per month until the delinquent tax is paid.

If you have any questions concerning transient occupancy tax, please call the Finance Division at (949) 361-8310.

What is needed for a company to become a City Vendor?
There are three steps to become a City Vendor. The first step is a request from a City Department to have the company set-up as a vendor. The second step requires the company to fill out a W-9 form for tax purposes. The final step is to decide what payment option the company would prefer. The City currently offers two payment options; the first is payable by a vendor check and the second is by Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT). The EFT Program is similar to a direct deposit as it will be deposited directly into the designated account on the Monday after payment is generated in relation to the payment due date. It takes approximately two weeks to pre-note the EFT. Once the City is transmitting electronically to the company's bank, the company will receive a notification in the mail that will list out the invoices paid and the date the transfer went into the account.

If a company has a new product or service that they wish to present to the City, they need to contact the appropriate City division directly.

For any questions regarding the Electronic Fund Transfer option or for an application, please call (949) 361-8398.

What is the general flow of an invoice once it is received by the City?
The City has multiple departments and several physical locations. Invoices are mailed directly to Accounts Payable, located at City Hall. Invoices are forwarded to the appropriate department where they are coded and approved by the requisitioner. They are then returned to Accounts Payable for processing. A check run is done every week for City Vendors and bi-weekly for Coastal Animal Services Authority Vendors. The checks are processed when they become due. The checks are mailed out every Friday unless City offices are dark on Friday and in that case the checks would go out on the prior Thursday. Click on the link below to see a City calendar. Check pick-up is not allowed by the City of San Clemente; all payments must be transmitted electronically or mailed.

City of San Clemente
City Hall | 100 Avenida Presidio, San Clemente, CA 92672 | Phone (949) 361-8200  |  FAX (949) 361-8285
Community Development | 910 Calle Negocio, Suite 100, San Clemente, CA, 92673 | Phone (949) 361-6100  |  FAX (949) 361-8281
Contact Us!  |  Disclaimer  |  eMail City Hall  |  eMail Community Development  |  eMail Web Master  |  Hit Count  |  Website Map
Tag map to City Hall     Scan this tag with your smartphone to map to City Hall. for free mobile app.